Sunday, March 8, 2020

Greenville to Denver

My last flight of this trip departs Greenville for Centennial Airport, a flight of 762 Nautical Miles. This General Aviation airport lies in the relatively newly incorporated city of Centennial, southeast of Denver. Centennial feels like a new city to me, since it was incorporated after we moved to the area. Here are some things to do in Centennial, according to TripBuzz, TripAdvisor and VacationIdea.

Climbing away from Greenville airport.

Leveled off at 31,000 feet, with a temperature of -46C and no wind. Not sure if that's just the simulator, not retrieving the real world winds. Almost halfway to Denver.

Not much interesting to see, cruising high over the Oklahoma farmland.

Still level at 31,000, with about 300 miles to go. Based on the Denver weather and winds, I've setup the FMS with the RNAV approach to Centennial's runway 28. I like the 28 approach, because if I'm able to land short, I can make the first turnoff, and head right over to my flying club.

Just a few minutes before Top Of Descent, with the Denver Class B airspace visible ahead on the moving map display.

Descending through 24,000 feet, maintaining 220 knots for the descent. I had this short internal dialog, and decided to pretend that ATC had asked me to maintain my best speed, and to tell them what I could give them. I decided to tell them I could maintain 220 knots to DILVE, the Initial Approach Fix (IAF), then 190 knots to NIDLY, the Final Approach Fix (FAF), then 90 knots for the final approach to the airport.

Approaching Centennial from the east, with a nice view of Pike's Peak about 50 miles off the left wing.

Descending through 9,800 feet, with the airport complex barely visible about 20 miles ahead. The Hazard Advisor on the moving map display is showing terrain (the Rocky Mountains!) above me, a long way past the airport.

After landing on runway 28, and easily stopped before the first turnoff. Success! The ramp at Aspen Flying Club is just to the right of the first turnoff.

Parked on the ramp at Aspen Flying Club. You can see the covered parking ahead and to the left, and the rows of hangars beyond that, with the KAPA airport control tower beyond it all.

Preparing to shutdown. One last look at the fuel quantity display, shows about 100 gallons, or 600 pounds, of fuel remaining. Not bad. Welcome to Denver!

No comments:

Post a Comment