Friday, August 23, 2019

Ketchikan to Kodiak

 8/23: Here's the view looking back, just after takeoff from Ketchikan, before turning to head West across the Gulf of Alaska to Kodiak, Alaska. This flight of 702 nautical miles probably shouldn't have been possible, with the limited range of the SF50. I made it work, by setting up the X-Plane simulator's high level winds to push me along at 150 knots. That increased free speed provided the necessary range, so I could land in Kodiak with a decent amount of reserve fuel. When I mentioned my clever solution to my dad on the phone, he said he hoped I never tried relying on forecast winds like that, on a real flight!

On the ground in Kodiak, Alaska. There's a pretty big hill just off the far end of the runway, so the missed approach procedure had an immediate left turn, and a required climb gradient, but with the weather so nice, there was no need for it. Next stop is Dutch Harbor / Unalaska, 577 NM away, which is a bit of a squeeze for the SF50's range, but doable, assuming no awful headwinds appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment