Sunday, January 12, 2020

Denver to San Diego

My old hometown of San Diego was calling me, since at 720 NM it should easily be reachable, even with the usual 20-30 knot headwind component for a westbound US flight. In the original SF50, this might've been a stretch, as I was previously hesitant to plan a flight longer than 700 NM. And off we go! This pic is looking back toward Chatfield Lake in the Littleton, CO area, as I'm climbing away from Centennial airport.

The westbound flight to Montgomery field was uneventful, and before I knew it, I was approaching San Diego from the east, over the Laguna mountain range that contains the town of Julian, and the Palomar Observatory. I've driven up to Julian more than once, and had a late breakfast at the Julian diner. This approach to the field near my old workplace in Kearny Mesa is so familiar to me, as I've flown it many times in various aircraft, when returning from trips to the east - but never in a 7-seat personal jet!

On the ground at Montgomery field. The old familiar line of hangars, where we used to keep our little single-seat biplane, are visible in the top right of the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment