Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Vernal to Chicago

Leaving Vernal for O'Hare International Airport in Chicago, Illinois, a long 980 NM trip, which is pushing the range of this little jet. We visited Chicago several years ago, to talk to the University of Chicago Medical Center about the possibility of a transplant. Here are some things to do in Chicago.

I took off in the late afternoon, which gave me a nice sunset behind me, as I climbed away towards The Windy City.

Level at the SF-50 jet's maximum cruising altitude of 31,000 feet. With virtually no winds at this altitude, the fuel totalizer is predicting that I'll have over 600 pounds of fuel after I land. That's about an hour and a half of cruising time - a very comfortable reserve.

As I approached Chicago, and starting flying the initial approach segment for the ILS approach, the circuitous route to the final approach started eating uncomfortably deeply into my fuel reserve, so rerouted myself more directly to the final approach fix. Here I'm established on final approach to runway 28 left.

On the ground at O'Hare airport! Finding my way on the ground at night, at this massive airport complex, is a pretty intimidating task. The moving map display in Foreflight, with the taxiway diagram overlaid, makes it much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment