Monday, October 28, 2019

Narsarsuaq to Iqaluit

The last leg of my transatlantic crossing is from Narsarsuaq to Iqaluit airport, in the small fishing town of Iqaluit, formerly known as Frobisher Bay, in Nunavut territory, northern Canada. This turns out to be a fairly long 680 nautical mile flight (after adding some extra miles for a GPS instrument approach to today's favored runway 16), but not beyond the SF50's capability, with reasonable fuel reserve. Even with today's forecast quartering headwinds at altitude, I should be arriving with over 100 gallons of fuel on board.

Departing Narsarsuaq airport on the runway 06 heading.

Turning right toward my northwest course. Seems like the long way around, but hey, I'm just following ATC vectors.

Climbing out on course. The enroute portion at 26,000 feet was uneventful, with clear skies and minimal winds aloft, so I hurried through that part as fast as possible, which is by setting the simulator to give me 16x groundspeed.

And now, it's hours earlier than I left, and the sun is below the horizon. Hmm... That's been happening on my other westbound flights, and I thought the simulator was messing up. I now realize that my 16x groundspeed calculates out to 16 x 300 = 4800 knots, much faster than the 350 knots or so, that the sunrise runs around the Earth at this latitude... which explains how I keep falling behind current time.

So here we are, descending through 15,500 feet ,with a 20 knot direct left crosswind, and inbound to Iqaluit airport. I'm flying the GPS approach to runway 16, which is overlaid on the moving map display, and it takes me to a waypoint named XUDPA northwest of the airport, then turns hard left for the straight-in approach to runway 16.

Executing the hard left turn to align with the approach to Iqaluit runway 16. The dark clouds look really striking, with the horizon beginning to glow from the rising sun.

Lined up on the GPS approach to Iqaluit's runway 16. At this altitude, I can see the sun peeking up already. 

Approaching the airport, with the sun rising in the distance.With the sun slowly rising, and me descending, the sun is staying in about the same position on the horizon.

Beautiful view of the sun and dark clouds overhead, on short final. I'm descending quickly enough, that the rising sun is beginning to disappear behind the high terrain in the distance.

On the ground at Iqaluit! And... the sun is rising again. I'm shutting down everything on the aircraft this time, engine and electrical, before I save the situation, so I will have to go through the entire power on and engine start procedures, when I pick this up for the next leg. All good fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment